Quick and easy breakfasts can either be boring or unhealthy. there are a plethora of choices on the supermarket shelves that are laden with sugar and while convenient, are far from healthy. So when Victoria got in touch as a recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic, I had to find something that was good for her to eat, easy to make and packed a punch in the taste department too.
How about overnight oats that taste like Cherry Bakewell cakes? That ought to do it.
The power ingredient here for diabetics? Almonds. They are one of the best sources of vitamin E and more importantly magnesium. This is great for diabetics because magnesium helps to control blood sugar and can lower your blood pressure. It’s pretty common for diabetics to be low in magnesium. So why not get some with your breakfast?
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 40g porridge oats
- 20g ground almonds
- 100g Greek yoghurt
- 75ml almond milk
- 6 pitted cherries
- A sprinkle of flaked almonds
WHAT YOU DO:
- Blend or mix the Greek yoghurt and cherries together.
- Put the oats and ground almonds in a bowl and mix together.
- Add the wet ingredients and mix together well.
- Put your mixture in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, sprinkle with flaked almonds and enjoy.