The challenge: make a classic chocolate bar and make it healthier. So step up the sugar free, dairy free, vegan Bounty bar. Yeah, I know it sounds boring but wait till you give it a go. Oh, did I say it was easy? Well it’s very easy. This recipe makes between 8 and 10 bars. But that really depends how big you want them.
WHAT YOU NEED (FOR THE FILLING):
- 64g unsweetened, desiccated coconut
- 1.5 tbsp honey (or Maple Syrup)
- 1 tpsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp peppermint or vanilla extract
- 30g chopped, pitted dates
WHAT YOU NEED (FOR THE CHOCOLATE):
- 50g melted coconut oil
- 50g cocoa (or cacao) powder
- 20-50g of honey (depending on how sweet you like it)
WHAT YOU DO:
- To make the filling mic all of the ingredients together in a food processor. Work the mixture into a ball and leave in the fridge for 15 minutes to go slightly hard.
- For the chocolate, melt the coconut oil in a pan and mix in the cocoa powder and honey to taste. Pour this into a bowl and leave in the fridge for around 15 minutes.
- When the two mixtures have solidified slightly, take them out of the fridge.
- Mould your coconut mixture into patties or small bars and then roll them in the chocolate so they are totally covered.
- Place each chocolate on a plate or something flat.
- When you have made them all, put them in the freezer for around an hour to set.
- These are best served cold. You can keep them in the freezer or the fridge.